This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases. See our disclaimer for more information.
Understanding the best way to store markers and brush pens is important to extend the life of your markers and pens.
Questions you might be asking yourself?
- Is it better to store markers horizontal or vertical?
- If they are stored vertically should they be stored tip up or tip down?
- How does the type of pen or marker affect the way they are stored?
In this guide we will discuss the best way to store your markers and pens and show you 6 easy organization solutions for your collection.
In a Hurry? Check out these marker storage solutions
- Deflecto Expandable Marker Case – Our Top Pick
- Multi-level Plastic Organization Rack
- ArtBin Plastic Storage Case and Marker Holder
- Crafter’s Companion Marker Storage Pack
- Foraineam Plastic Desk Organizer Pen and Marker Storage Holder
- Portable Marker and Pen Storage
Best Way to Store Markers
How to store Crayola Markers:
Crayola markers are water based and can be stored vertically or horizontally. If you store them vertically it is best to store them with the tip pointed down. That way the ink is pooled in the direction of the tip of the marker.
What’s nice is some of the fine tip markers have the color on the bottom in addition to the lid that way when you turn them over it is still easy to see what color they are.
Crayola markers are a great way to practice your hand lettering because they are inexpensive and budget friendly.
How do you keep markers from drying out?
When it comes to marker storage one of the goals is to prevent markers from drying out. Make sure you follow the suggested guidelines discussed in this guide for proper marker storage to help prevent your markers from drying out. If your Crayola markers have dried out watch this video to learn how to revive your Crayola markers after they have dried out.
How to Store Brush Pens
Should you store your pens horizontal or vertical?
How you store your brush pens depends on the type of pen and whether they are water based or alcohol based.
Water based brush pens:
If they are water based then they can be stored horizontally or vertically.
Alcohol based brush pens:
If they are alcohol based pens then they should be stored horizontally or they can easily dry out.
Is it better to store pens up or down?
Again whether you store your pen with the tip up or the tip down depends on the type of pen.
Here is a quick reference to use when storing your pens.
- Ballpoint pens should be stored with the tip pointed down.
- Gel pens should be stored with the tip up or horizontal
- Liquid ink pens should be stored with the tip up or horizontal
- Dual Sided Pens generally should be stored horizontal so the ink doesn’t pool to one side
How to Store Copic Markers
Copic Markers are very popular among artists. Copic markers are oil based and a type of alcohol based marker and therefore should be stored horizontal.
Check out the video below for 5 Tips when storing your Copic Markers.
Best Organization solutions for your Brush Markers and Pens
Deflecto Expandable Marker Case
- Offers a clear lid with white base that can hold up to 80 markers
- 4 storage sections that unfold giving you options for how you want to store your markers
- The case has a locking lid and a carrying handle that allows you to move from place to place
- Can sit vertically or horizontally
Multi-level Plastic Organization Rack
- Vertical organizer that holds up to 60 pens/markers
- Offers tiered storage that makes it easy to see the markers in the back.
- Easily sits on your desk to hold your pens, markers, paint brushes and colored pencils.
Plastic Storage Case and Marker Holder
- Clear case with lid to easily see what’s inside
- Includes 1 marker tray and 2 dividers for easy organization
- Holds 62-64 markers up to 6” in length
- Can stand on its side for markers that require horizontal storage
Crafter’s Companion Marker Storage Pack
- This stackable marker storage solution offers 12 slots on each tray
- Includes 6 Stackable trays allowing for 72 markers
- Comes in Clear and Black
Foraineam Plastic Desk Organizer Pen and Marker Storage Container
- This plastic storage is budget friendly and holds up to 96 markers, pens, paint brushes and colored pencils.
- It is easy to assemble and includes 2 storage containers.
Portable Marker and Pen Storage
- If you are looking for a portable solution this carrying case includes a zipper closure and carrying handle to make it easy for travel.
- Has 64 slots made with elastic bands that are flexible making it versatile depending on your size of markers and pens.
- Comes in different color options